The usual suspects amongst the liberal Beltway chattering classes in perceiving their latest shiny object, Donald Trump, are salivating at the prospect of him running for president. Rather than him being the self described" Obama's greatest nightmare" he is the liberal media/bloggers greatest wet dream.
They see a Trump presidential run as being the very best thing that could happen to ensure Obama's re-election, which is their ultimate desiderata. This for a number of reasons.
1. By even toying with the idea of running he hurts the GOP because he makes the GOP nomination a subject of outright farce-especially with his "birther" claptrap.
2. If he actually does mount a campaign he would suck all the air out of the room for the serious candidates and matters of policy will get lost in the media reports of his outrageous statements.
3. His "candidacy' would provide endless fodder for late night comedians-in fact all comedians-further reducing the GOP campaign to utter farcical shambles.
4. His campaign would enable President Obama to take a Nixonian "above it all ' stance as Nixon did with the equally quixotic McGovern campaign.
5. Trump is reported as telling the WSJ “The concern is if I don’t win [the GOP primary] will I run as an independent, and I think the answer is probably yes.” Mr. Trump said he thought he “could possibly win as an independent,” adding, “I’m not doing it for any other reason. I like winning.”
As regards point five if Trump is going to pick up his toys and run as an independent why in hell should the Republicans even entertain letting him participate as a Republican in any primary election or participate in the debates. Here is a person clearly stating he will attempt to destroy the nominated GOP candidate if he doesn't get the nod.
The Republican Party is doing the rank and file a disservice by even entertaining letting this person participate in the nomination process Anyone who states they will run against the nominee is an enabler
of President Obama.
Trump has now walked back the WSJ interview,telling Hannity that he would only run as an Independent if he was sure he would be elected. This is of course preposterous on all counts.